Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?

Subject: Re: DocBook -> Jade -> RTF: lists as RTF lists?
From: David Miller <dmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:22:18 -0500
Brandon Ibach wrote:

> Quoting David Miller <dmiller@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I need the RTF document produced by the Jade RTF backend to have lists
> > as true RTF lists, so that when users edit the RTF document, they get
> > automatic list renumbering, etc.  Now, itemizedlists and orderedlists
> > are just specially formatted regular paragraphs, as opposed to true RTF
> > lists.
> >
> > Looking at the DocBook stylesheets and the Jade source code, this looks
> > like a challenge to me.  So I thought I'd ask first: Has anybody already
> > done this, and can share the results?
> >
>    I realize that what follows may not be helpful in the least, but so
> you know, there's a reason why this will be tricky.  DSSSL, being
> intended as a tool to produce "final output" (ie, a printable
> document, rather than an editable one), doesn't generally include flow
> objects for semantic constructs that can just as easily be created
> with layout-based objects such as paragraphs and special characters.
>    So, to provide access to RTF's list formatting, you'd probably need
> to create some nonstandard flow objects, such as those used by the
> SGML Transformation backend.  Unfortunately, this involves walking a
> line that requires both hacking up C++ code in OpenJade as well as
> hacking up the RTF that it outputs.  And, of course, you'll need to
> modify Norm's stylesheets to use the new flow objects, too.
>    That having been said, the task would certainly not be impossible
> to pull off.  If you're up to it, let me know, and I may be able to at
> least point you in the right direction (assuming no one appears with a
> ready-made solution).
>
> -Brandon :)

Brandon,

I am interested in how I would start implementing a new flow object.
Sounds like a more complete solution than my current simplistic plan:
(a) somehow peek at each node passed to the RTF builder; (b) record some
info about the list nodes; (c) when the RTF is actually output, generate
an appropriate RTF list table and list override table; (d) alter the
stylesheets until everything looks right again.

Thanks,
Dave

--
Dave