Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions
From: "Piez, Wendell A. (Fed) wendell.piez@xxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 20:56:03 -0000
Hey Ken,

I personally have no problem with Orange at all: au contraire. However, it
hasn't caught on even for its intended use. (The JATS-Con Proceedings are the
only application I have seen. It works!)

As for "must account for somehow", here I am thinking not of the users so much
as the decision-makers who decide what to adopt and who have to plan for
building a system out -- who can choose JATS or something else before anyone
else gets to see it. This is more complicated by the fact that many of those
developer/manager/decision-makers do not have you or me nearby to give them
ways of "accounting" for elements without much extra overhead. As you know,
they often think they are supposed to support everything declared in the model
or described in documentation, even when (depending on what they are actually
doing) this may not be true.

Of course the Multiple Ways to Do Things complicates this a great deal. I
would say that is an even harder problem than Bloat -- but it is bloat that
tends to worry the gatekeepers (IME).

Cheers, Wendell