Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions Re: Pumpkin

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions Re: Pumpkin
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 22:14:35 -0000
PUMPKIN - What's wrong with Pumpkin? (not orange, please)
Not too much, but it was created for a single author to
write an article in XML, and aside from some JATS-Con lovelies,
nobody does that. (Oh well, I do, but trust me, nobody does that.)

NEW PRODUCTION TAG SET --What I think we need (which has been
mentioned as a possible spinoff from the JATS 2.0 effort) is a
new JATS family DTD, intended for editors and production people,
that gives them all the journal metadata and other stuff that
was deliberately left out of Pumpkin. Probably much simpler than Blue.
Several groups have made themselves such a tag set, and I think
we should compare all those we can find. Got one to share?

JATS LITE - But I like this discussion too. I can see another tag set,
JATS lite, with most of the real complexity (10 ways to associate
an author with an affiliation, block alternatives for multiple languages,
really complex funding metadata) taken out of JATS. Instead, you
would have a simplified body (no figure groups, no floats
group, just headed sections) and really minimal metadata (contributor,
affiliation, publication date(?)), anyway simplified. Is there a use
case for this? Should we make and compare lists of this-goes-out
features?

--Debbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron