Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions

Subject: Re: [jats-list] JATS - Gripes and Suggestions
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 20:45:20 -0000
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At 2020-04-29 20:13 +0000, Piez, Wendell A. (Fed) wendell.piez@xxxxxxxx
wrote:
>> Along with this idea, how about revisiting Orange? Debbie had a good
explanation as to why today's Orange doesn't work or at any rate has few users
(sorry I wish I could paraphrase). But the idea of Orange is a sound one. Or
something between Orange and Blue. (Ochre?)

> I'm late to this party ... what have been the problems with orange? It takes
away things from the authors that are not their purview.

The big problem with Orange is that (as far as we know) it is very rarely
used. Maintaining a tag set that is rarely used seems like the wrong place to
put limited resources. When people we know of have made versions of JATS for
authoring or editing they generally make their own subset of Blue, they don't
use Orange.

> The conference proceedings required orange and I liked that it took away
things that are better left for publishing.

Yep. But it doesn't include things editors need.

b Tommie