Re: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.5 (Oystron?)

Subject: Re: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.5 (Oystron?)
From: Piero Cavina <p.cavina@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:08:27 +0200 (MET DST)
At 12:52 -0700 2-09-1997, Nick S Bensema wrote:

>>>As for game variations, why not building a matrix for options such as
>>>curvy shots, single vs. doubleshots, and whether you can group pearls
>>
>>sorry, what's "curvy"?
>
>"Curvy" might refer to steerable shots that can be controlled with the
>joystick.  This has been around since Combat.  I don't think it would
>look good considering your current implementation of missiles.

Nope, in my game the whole kernel and much of the logic is based on the fact
that there are only 8 possible "slots" for the shots. I could let the player
move the shots from row to row with the joystick but 1- I doubt that it
would look good enough 2- which shot? There are two of them 3- the shots are
very fast, would that feature be really useful? 4- anyway, there's not
enough space for this :-)

>>As for the single shots, I think that they're always too boring.
>
>Anyone else ALWAYS hold down Reset when powering up for Space Invaders?

ok, ok there are some exceptions, let's say and Invaders and Galaxian (at
least the original arcade galaxian).

Uh, the saddest thing of all is the "fake multiple fire" - those games where
the last shot fired is "aborted" when you press fire before its "natural"
end, and is replaced with a new shot...  there were some 2600 games of this
kind... bleah.

Ciao,
 P.