Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game
From: Retroware <rcolbert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 19:51:53 -0500
Piero Cavina wrote:

> Does this mean that there will not ba cart version? ;)

Not at all, the game uses no SC RAM, so an 8k (or larger) cart version
is very probable.  The current version is using bankswitching though,
not because it needs it, but because I decided that the game will be
bigger than 4k.  I have a ton of room left for more enemies, etc, which
I will be adding shortly.

> Hmm, this program is impressive, but I think that a lot of testing and
> fine-tuning will be needed to turn it into a classic game.

Absolutely.  I've really been fine tuning the kernel, and keep tweaking
it
every time I sit down.  That's why I haven't put  a lot of time into the
level design yet.

> - there's something wrong with the gun, but I can't tell exactly what it
> is. Maybe it's too fast, or it takes too much to go from left to right. Try
> to remove the horizontal positions (they're not very useful anyway..) and
> to slow down the movement a bit.

Hmmm, slow it down?  I can try, but it might make the game rather
difficult.
That might be a candidate for a game variation or difficulty switch
item.
It's just a matter of changing one value.

> - "pull up" a bit the explosions, they seem to start below the object.

I'll take a look at that and see what I can do.

> What will the men do, after filling the foxholes?

They climb on top of eachother and then blow up your gun, game over.
That's
the way Sabotage works, and I want to stick with it.  If you shoot a
paratrooper's parachute and make him fall from high enough, he will
splat on
the ground.  If he hits a man in the hole, it will kill him.  This works
o.k.
but some adjustment is needed for the foxholes on the right side.

				Thanks for the input,
						Bob