Re: [stella] Space Treat new version

Subject: Re: [stella] Space Treat new version
From: "Fabrizio Zavagli" <rasty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:03:03 +0100
Hi Albert!

> Okay, I just spent some time playing Space Treat.  A few things:
>
> 1) I experienced no screen rolling at the end of each level (yay!)

Woo! :)
Thanks a lot for the tests, since I'm currently unable to run the game on an
NTSC machine.
The game should also be rolling-free between the intro screen/level
screen/game screen transactions...! (could you confirm that?)

> 2) If you are low on time and getting the beeping warning, when you finish
> the level this beeping continues to play.

Ok thanks, I'll fix that.

> 3) I like how the enemies turn into the fruit when you get back to the
> bottom.  :)

Great! I'll keep it this way then!

> 4) One time when I was hit by an enemy and "exploding", I saw an extra
> scanline appear.  [...some time passes...] Okay, I have actually seen this
> few times now.

Thanks, I've just figured out it happened when losing the last life on the
1st line. That was due to some modifications that I've made lately (fixed
now).

> 5) Is the flickering when you reach the fruit at the top intentional?  Is
> this because you are still drawing the fruit?  If so, perhaps you could
hide
> the fruit immediately to prevent the flickering?

Actually yes, the flickering is intentional, and should serve the purpose of
making the player aware of the substitution of the food with an enemy (that
you now have to pay attention to and dodge!)..  :)

> > Well, I'm not actually swimming in rom space at the moment :)
> > Plus, I'd like to call the game finished sooner or later... of course
> there
> > are always improvements that one could think of, but I guess that I'm
also
> > looking forward to work on new things :) (Bounce!)
> > The score indicator has been demanded since long ago, anyway...
> > hummmmmmmmm...
>
> Yeah, I have seen other people mention the score indicator.  Since the
game
> returns to the title screen when you die, there's no way at all to prove
how
> far you progressed in the game (except perhaps videotaping the entire
> thing).  It would be nice if maybe at the end of the game the "LEVEL XX"
> text remained, maybe even saying "FINAL" above it (as in "FINAL LEVEL
XX").
> Then you could press the button and it would return to the title screen.
> However, I know that "FINAL" graphic (as well as the code to support it at
> the end of ag ame) would probably eat up ROM space you don't have.

Actually, the game currently does display the final level you've reached
before getting back to the title screen... did you experience a different
behaviour?

> I know what you mean about wanting to call the game finished and moving
on,
> so I'm certainly not going to harass you if you don't want to do this.  :)

Don't worry, I always welcome suggestions and love the feedback... and
thanks a lot for it!

> The game gets pretty difficult on its own, I think moving the key would be
> very devious.  Perhaps this could be selectable via one of the difficulty
> switches?  :)  Along those lines, maybe you could make an "easier" version
> of the game by using one switch to toggle the key on/off, and then another
> to toggle the moving key on/off.  Okay, sorry, I am evil.

Humm that's a very interesting suggestion I'm going to take note about!

> > > I will also try the game on my 7800 and let you know how it works.
> >
> > Thanks, that will help a lot!
>
> Seems to work fine, although my particular 7800 was experiencing some
weird
> glitches that I think are native to this heavily modded 7800.  :)  I
didn't
> have any sync'ing problems at all.

Ouch, so the issues must be specific to PAL 7800s only... this gets things
even more complicated :(

Thanks for the feedback and happy holidays to you as well!

Fabrizio.-