Re: [stella] Space Treat new version

Subject: Re: [stella] Space Treat new version
From: "Albert Yarusso" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:16:07 -0600
Greetings!

> Fabrizio wrote:
> >- After finishing a level, the game stays 1/2 seconds on it
> >showing all the enemies turned into food
>
> Now, that is giving me a much more rewarding feeling when
> finishing a level. :-)

Yes, I agree, it is pretty cool and was a pleasant surprise when I saw it
the first time with this new version.

> >- Increased size of Fuel Bar, making it more readable on the
> >TV screen
>
> Now it should be much better recognizable. Can somebodsy
> confirm this?

I had no problems at all with the fuel bar, running the game on a 20"
television.

> Yes, that's IMO the best solution. If you should implement
> selectable starting levels and a score those should be
> displayed somehow too. Else maybe something like "Game Over"
> written below.

Agreed, it would be nice if the final "Level" screen (after you die) says
"Game Over" or something.

> And I still would *love* to see some scoring system. E.g. based
> on the remaining time when you pick up the key and finish a
> level. Plus some extra bonus when finishing a level without
> loosing a life and maybe an inreasing remaining lifes bonus.
> While the mastered levels still should be most important, an
> extra score would give some additional replay motivation.
>
> Then selectable starting levels (with less lives!) would allow
> some training in the higher levels, but for a great score you
> would have to start at level 1.

Also agreed.  :)

> BTW: I'm allways having *massive* problems with level 3, e.g.
> level 4 and 5 are much easier for me. Anybody having the same
> problems?

I didn't have any problems, but now I'm quite curious so let me fire it up.
Okay, I just played a few games and while it does get more difficult
starting on level 3, I don't feel that levels 4 and 5 are any easier (and in
fact, the "key" starts to appear on level 4).  But even with the speedup on
level 3, it's still fairly easy at that point.  What kind of problems are
you having?

Something I just noticed -- the Reset switch doesn't work when the "LEVEL
XX" text is visible between levels.

Take care,

 ..Al