Re: [stella] Rubik Cube 3d

Subject: Re: [stella] Rubik Cube 3d
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 01:57:11 -0500
Thomas wrote:

>And of course I could not resist to improve all current
>solutions. ;-)

Ha!

Pistols at dawn would have been a lot less work...

>This demo is a little less blocky than the original and
>Christopher's version. It doesn't require selfmodifying code
>and runs completely in ROM.

Your squares are also wider than the original...

Andrew asked:

>Isn't the hard part the top of the cube?

The top half of the top of the cube is no big deal, the areas of colour are generally wider which gives you more leaway.

The top front corner would be a bear since you're already creating diagonals for the sides of the cube and you'll also need them at the top.

>If Rubuk's Cube is shifing any objects during the cube display, it would have to
>do it with late HMOVEs which are somewhat unflrexible.

Dhuh! We are very silly people! There's no need to move anything!

Two quad-sized players covers the whole cube except 1 1/2 squares. The rest can be covered by a stationary M0 and M1 (Um, okay, maybe need the ball in there...)

X0000000 0000000x
XX000000 0000000X
XXX00000 000000XX
XXXX0000 00000XXX
XXXXX000 0000XXXX
XXXXXX00 00XXXXXX
XXXXXXX0 0XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX

Which also explains the 4-pixel "steps".

Then all you need to do is twiddle GRP0/GRP1 and COLUP0/COLUP1 and the missile lengths (put the missiles to handle the left 2 squares so you can just turn the missiles on/off and change the length)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nevermind all this fiddly HMOVEing...

Anyway, attached is what was my latest though there's not a huge amount done (familial obligation over the last couple days, you know...). There's not a lot of point to both Thomas and I working on this, and I was only really interested in sussing out the secret so I'm just going to drop it and get back to more interesting things...

Chris....