Re: (dsssl) XML not appropriate for TEI: (was Hypothetical question on namespaces)

Subject: Re: (dsssl) XML not appropriate for TEI: (was Hypothetical question on namespaces)
From: "M. Wroth" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 06:17:05 -0700
At 09:14 AM 10/5/01 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
Trent Shipley writes:

> -- It has very flexible facilities for defining the morphology of its own
> concrete lexis (called the concrete syntax in the standard).
> ---- (One suspects that the flexibility in the concrete grammar was partly to
> ease assimilation of existing mark-up languages to SGML)
and did anyone ever use it like that? a colleague of mine once tried
to make SGML parse LaTeX, but gave up :-}

I've made some tentative attempts to make SGML parse a database (fields separated by "|" and records by EOL). I convinced myself that I could make it work, but then the project got shelved, so I never completed it.

Mark B. Wroth <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>