Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game

Subject: Re: [stella] Latest version of my new game
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 20:33:09 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Bob Colbert wrote:
> Yes, you are correct.  I've planned on at least making the helicopter go
> out of control if you hit the back of it.  I'm open for other suggestions too!

Maybe some of the enemy craft shouldn't simply track across the screen but
have AI and slide back and forth intelligently.  Maybe a special attack
helicopter at the top?

This would help break the game away from the simplistic shooting-gallery
motif.

Also:

1) discrete waves that ramp up difficulty and alter enemy
type/speed/accuracy.

2) At certain score levels you get the ability to launch a user-controlled
attack helicopter that can shoot in all directions and can attack the
foxholed paratroopers.  Foxholed paratroopers, at this time, gain the
ability to shoot back.  When using the attack helicopter, the main gun is
disabled.

3) bonuses for shooting accuracy at wave-end marks.

4) B17 mothership wave that tracks left and right ala Gorf, but sends
nothing but paratroopers and an occasional bomb down the gullet.

5) Implement "Scorched Earth" physics.  Use paddle in 2nd controller port
to control the distance.  This way you could kill paratroopers via
parabolic mortar shells and to offset this ability, it would be more
challenging to kill regular enemies due to the arcs.  Maybe in novice
mode, full power gives you straight shots, and in expert mode the mortars
arc terribly and if you shoot straight up the mortar slows down and levels
out at the top of the screen so timing is also an issue.