Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies

Subject: Re: [stella] missile vs. player copies
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 02:30:32 -0500
On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:35:20 -0800, you wrote:

>By manipulating the player width and horizontal position you can create the
>illusion of wider sprites.
>
>In extreme cases, with the missiles as discussed, you can give the illusion
>that the missile objects are sprites, with some limitations to shape, of
>course.  But with the players, you can get a wider variety of shapes.
>
>For instance, by shearing or italicizing the sprite, you can stretch its
>total width.  Stampede does this, doesn't it?

Sort of.  The lasso looks to be drawn with that player's missile (slow
down an emulator and look at the 'loop' on the end), which I guess you
could call sheared in the way you describe.  It does do that to a small
extent on the player's horse's legs.

>You can also do the six-char thing (Dragster) or the 4-char thing
>(Dragonstomper) which I assume you can contract down to a 2-Char thing as
>well (sprites set for double-one rewrite between).  I don't know how much
>time would be left on those scanlines with a dynamic 2-char to do anything
>else vs. a 4 or 6 char.

Actually, a 2-char doesn't need a rewrite between; it's one copy each of
GRP0 and GRP1.

-